[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Alternative Surnames

Jutta Dennerlein Jutta.Dennerlein at t-online.de
Fri Nov 3 03:23:34 PST 2006

Gary,

sorry for the late reply - and also sorry for causing so many
irritation and sudden activities within SGGEE.

Thank you for going through the effort of writing in capital letters -
but I think the listserve handles the usual ">" for citations pretty
competent.

I do have a good understanding of your Pedigree database difficulties,
but I must say that my understanding of the Alternate Surname list has
not been that of being a help-file for automated database merges.
Sorry for that misunderstanding, but I really thought that the target
group of this list were living people who got stuck with their
genealogy and who would be glad for the hint that they might also look
for Grabowski if the missing Buchholz never turned up.

 ... snip ...
> I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE TIME TO PURSUE EACH AND EVERY NAME ON THAT
LIST TO CONFIRM THAT THEY ARE
> ALTERNATES, BUT THE TIME I TAKE DOING MERGES DOES NOT ALLOW ME THE
TIME TO DO THAT.
 ... snip ...

I don't want to go into details, I just want to mention that there is
some significance in the order of doing things. What about checking
that names are true alternates before adding them to the list and
before you start merging?

Thank you for the many examples of name changes in your family. I
think there is no doubt that there are name changes and different
spellings of family names. My opinion is, that at least the rather
exotic name changes need an explanation and some information about the
source of this information so people can decide if this exotic name
change is also relevant for their family research or not. But since
your computer program probably doesn't read footnotes, the information
about the sources is certainly irrelevant as far as the SGGEE
Alternate Surname list is concerned.

I did not want to leave you without an answer to your comprehensive
reply to my question. But I somehow got the feeling that this mailing
list might not be the place where discussions like this one are
welcome.

So let's better get back to normal and talk about the more pleasant
issues ...

Kind regards

Jutta Dennerlein
www.upstreamvistula.org