[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Alternative Surnames

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Fri Nov 3 08:36:09 PST 2006

Jutta,

Thanks for your reply.   A few comments on your questions below.

Gary

At 03:23 AM 11/03/06, Jutta Dennerlein wrote:
>Gary,
>
>sorry for the late reply - and also sorry for causing so many
>irritation and sudden activities within SGGEE.

No, it is always good to talk about things that are puzzling.   It
was a similar discussion that actualy caused the Alternate Surname
List to be written.

>Thank you for going through the effort of writing in capital letters -
>but I think the listserve handles the usual ">" for citations pretty
>competent.
>
>I do have a good understanding of your Pedigree database difficulties,
>but I must say that my understanding of the Alternate Surname list has
>not been that of being a help-file for automated database merges.

>Sorry for that misunderstanding, but I really thought that the target
>group of this list were living people who got stuck with their
>genealogy and who would be glad for the hint that they might also look
>for Grabowski if the missing Buchholz never turned up.

The list currently serves both as an aid to me in doing merges, and
also an attempt to let people know that there is no one way to spell
any name.   We each have our idea of how our own family surnames
should be spelled.   I think we even consciously pick the version of
our surname that most appeals to us.   Too bad that the pastors who
made the records could not spell, did not hear the name correctly, or
had their own favorite way of spelling a surname.

>  ... snip ...
> > I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE TIME TO PURSUE EACH AND EVERY NAME ON THAT
>LIST TO CONFIRM THAT THEY ARE
> > ALTERNATES, BUT THE TIME I TAKE DOING MERGES DOES NOT ALLOW ME THE
>TIME TO DO THAT.
>  ... snip ...
>
>I don't want to go into details, I just want to mention that there is
>some significance in the order of doing things. What about checking
>that names are true alternates before adding them to the list and
>before you start merging?

I presently do merges virtually every day of the year.   I have not
determined exactly how many names that I merge or attempt to merge
each year, but I suspect it is something like 200,000 names a
year.    I would really like to do as you suggest, but since the
alternates simply appear as a result of the merging process (ie., two
people that are obviously the same person have mothers with different
surnames is the main source of the alternates), my momentum is not
broken if I just keep going.    I do email each submitter of data
when the alternates do not seem to be even remotely connected.   It
is my hope that when I send out data to someone after a merge, that
it will be them who pursues the correctness of the data.

Please understand that I do not manually create the Alternate Surname
list anymore.     That is done by Antje Mass in Germany.   She
annually takes the printout of the master surname list from our
database and lists each name where there is an alternate spelling.

I would love to create a clean list of true alternates, but I simply
do not have the time left in my life to do that.   In addition, for
someone to undertake the task properly, the person would have to be
fluent in both German and Polish, since very often the alternates are
the same word in each language.   I do not possess such language
skills, but would welcome someone who does posess such skills
undertaking the preparation of such a list.    If that were done,
then our present list could simply fade away.

>Thank you for the many examples of name changes in your family. I
>think there is no doubt that there are name changes and different
>spellings of family names. My opinion is, that at least the rather
>exotic name changes need an explanation and some information about the
>source of this information so people can decide if this exotic name
>change is also relevant for their family research or not. But since
>your computer program probably doesn't read footnotes, the information
>about the sources is certainly irrelevant as far as the SGGEE
>Alternate Surname list is concerned.

The Alternate Surname List is a Word document, so it is certainly
possible to create footnotes for each alternate.   The problem is, as
noted above, who has both the knowledge and the time to undertake
that job?    I suspect that in our small group that there might be
only a hal-dozen or so people that have the skills to do this.

>I did not want to leave you without an answer to your comprehensive
>reply to my question. But I somehow got the feeling that this mailing
>list might not be the place where discussions like this one are
>welcome.

No, the only questions that are bad questions, are the ones that do
not get asked.   I appreciate your input.   Hopefully someone will
now step forward to undertake the job you have noted is needed.