[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Leichnitz

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed Nov 8 06:38:12 PST 2006

Earl,
I am a bit wary about your introduction, "Ok you name experts..." I
am not much of an expert though, I think we are simply addicted to
details, even details have details... I've never been able to
describe more than the details.  I consider all advice refurbished
error, answers a point of view, and in conclusion everything is but
an approximation.

But you did ask for opinions. I have many.
I am certain other opinions will follow after this, the more the
merrier.
We would then like to hear your opinions Earl, harbored on the
surname "Leichnitz".

First, on the 'very rare name' you mention, a quick 'google' produced
21,100 'leichnitz' on the Web alone, 4 'Leichniz', and 1 'Julia
Leichnic' in Lodz, Poland.
The 2000 Poland census named a male and female "Leichnitz" in the
Torun vicinity.

Leichnitz is a Germanic name.

-Leich  - body; shape
Gothic, Old Norse, Norwegian, Swedish, Old Frisian, Old Saxon,  - "lik"
Old Danish, Danish, - "lig"
Old English - "lic"
Middle Dutch - "lijc"
Dutch  - "lijk"
Middle Low German - "lik" "like"  -gleichheit, gleichnis.
Old High German - "lih"  (leiche, gleich)
Middle High German - "lich"  - koerper
German - "Leiche" G"leich"

I'd venture on "like" or  "likeness"
"nitz"  as in Schnitz could indicate 'cut' or 'cut of'.
maybe...
-Nitz-Niz-Nic
-------------->
Nitz could well be as the following bit gleaned from a website:
A shortened form of Nicholaus.
Nicolai, Nikel, Nicze, Nitz, Nitzse, Nitzman.
-----------------<
Leich'nitz: the body; shape  of Nicolaus, resembling Nicolaus?
An alter ego of Nicolaus? "Like Nicolaus"?

On Nov 6, 2006, at 10:44 PM, Earl.Schultz wrote:

> Ok you name experts...I'd like your opinion on the name Leichnitz.
> It is my
> maternal line and a very rare name.  The earliest occurrance we've
> found has
> been in Thorn, Poland in the 1860-1870s and Neidenburg, Olsztyn is
> the early
> to mid 1600s (Lechnitz).
>
> I have little other information on the name but I will share more
> once I
> hear what others have to say.
>
> Incidentally, I record every occurrance of the name that I've come
> across.
>
> Earl
. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of November 05, 2006-