[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Belchatow

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Wed Nov 8 11:56:06 PST 2006

  Dick,

      Sorry for the late reply - I've had a busy work week.

      Yes, I knew about your Belchatow index, and found it very useful
 when I had the Belchatow microfilms. There are in fact some of my Gruenke
 relations in your index of the older films, one as Gruenka, one as
 Krynke and one as Krenke. (Which underlines the need to be very flexible
 about spelling in the Parish Records).

     My great-great-great-great-grandfather Michael Zibell usually
 appears within the records under the Polish-style spelling Cybel,
 but he could sign, so I know he wrote his own name as Zibell.

     As I understand it, the Belchatow Lutheran Parish was founded in
 1837, so I suspect that the earlier block of records, 1809-1825, with
 Catholic, Lutheran and Jewish people all included, were probably made
 by the Catholic priest.

      Anyway, whoever made these records, we're all lucky that they
 still exist, and grateful to you and all the volunteers who extract
 the indexes.

             Paul Rakow
             rakow at ifh.de