[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Merging and changing to Legacy

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Wed Nov 8 12:51:40 PST 2006

Lloyd,

Merging of your two files is quite simple in Legacy, but may prove
very difficult in Family Tree Maker.   The reason is that Legacy has
a good merge routine, and Family Tree Maker has a very weak
one.    The difference in the results might be the same if the
records are identical that are being merged, but only in that
case.   It is my experience with Family Tree Maker that it does not
know what to do with differing data, and does not offer you very much
ability to amend differing parts of the records during a merge.

Be ware that before you do any merge, that you will likely need to
clean up your Family Tree Maker file in several areas prior to any
merge (do the cleanup in Legacy.    See my article in the last
Journal for examples of items that are not handled well by Family
Tree Maker.    They are, from memory

1.   many variations on place names
2.   differences in surname spellings
3.   comments in events that wind up as places
4.   and the fact that Family Tree Maker converts all persons who
have only a given name into a person with no given name and only a
surname (thus a person with a given name of Gottlieb becomes a person
with no given name, and a surname of Gottlieb).

The master lists in Legacy will help you clean up the Family Tree
Maker oddities.

Gary