[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] SURNAME ORIGINS - REMUS

William Remus remus at hawaii.edu
Wed Nov 8 18:55:57 PST 2006

(Could someone forward this also to Gunther Bohm of Wolhynien-Liste?)

Dear Otto, Gunther, Jurgen and List

This discussion of Surname orgins is very interesting so let me pose a similar question to the one about Leidchnitz...

First, my family name Remus arose in Saxony (and Augsburg) by the Latin-izing of Rem (Rehm) by Rem family members associated with the Church in the 1500's. Question: in Saxony where there are Slavic peoples (Wends/Sorbs) within 20 miles of my Remus family, is it possible that cousins to the Rem or Remus family members might be called Remitz (I see a lot or Remitz in that area).

Second, only the Remus family name has been used in West Prussia (northern Poland) since 1700 (a migration of Remus family members from Saxony took place). But there are Remitz families there too. So these Remitz could have come from Saxony or other Slavic areas OR Question: Would a Slavic priest (like the Polish priests in West Prussia) change Remus to Remitz even if the  German family called itself Remus?

Regards Bill Remus