[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] World War1

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Tue Nov 14 15:28:38 PST 2006

Jurgen and all,

There are village by village lists of German farmers whose lands were
expropriated in 1915.   They were all published in the Volhynia Gubernia
News in July, 1916.  Brent Alan Mai edited a book in which they all appear,
and I think that individual village lists are available on the online (such
as Dave Obee's website).  More knowledgeable people than I can tell you
whether these lists extended outside of Volhynia into the Chelm area.  I
think they do not, but I may be wrong.

Expulsions from the Chelm area seem to have occurred at roughly the same
time (mid-July, 1915) as they did in Volhynia.  I've seen some evidence that
individual males were deported before that, but their families followed soon
after as the warfront got close.  You can't generalize, however, from Chelm
to the whole of Poland.  Various Russian commanders were busy expelling
Germans from Suwalki Province already in September, 1914, and other military
officials issued such orders in the rest of Poland in the months that
followed. It all depended on how close the German/Austrian army was. A final
expulsion from Poland was issued February 11, 1915 and was to be completed
by February 20.  This is roughly 6 months before the expulsion orders were
given for Volhynia.  At first, if Polish Germans got themselves ready to go
in 3 days, they could choose their destination (on paper, at least).  Many
are supposed to have chosen Volhynia, where they had relatives, but after
that they suffered the same fate as did the Volhynians Germans.

Details of this mass deportation can be found in numerous sources, most of
them in German.  In English, you have the SGGEE Journal article mentioned by
Ted Belke and an eye-witness account in the AHSGR Journal, X, no. 4 (Winter,
1987).  I'm beginning, finally, to work on a distillation of as many
accounts as I can collect.  I keep running into more and more of them, so
please be patient.  The best account of why and how this all happened is
that of Eric Lohr, "Nationalizing the Russian Empire.  The Campaign Against
Enemy Aliens During World War I" (Cambridge, Mass, 2003).  If you read
Russian (I can't), I can point you towards a few recent articles by Russian
scholars.  You can also get a general picture of the refugee experience in
Peter Gatrell, "A Whole Empire Walking", which reminds us that the ethnic
Germans were only one group of many who suffered this inhuman treatment at
the hands of the Russian military.

I hope I may take advantage of this opportunity to ask anyone whose family
story of the expulsion and exile has not come before my eyes to please share
it with me.

Dick Benert.