[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] The new and not so wonderful IE7

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 15 08:27:21 PST 2006

Microsoft recently released its new Internet Explorer 7.0.  Since that time, we have begun to receive reports about people who are having trouble accessing the databases on our website.  We are also hearing reports of similar problems at other websites and with other online databases.

This is a problem inherent with IE7 and NOT our website.  It will take some time for web designers and Microsoft to figure out the cause of this problem and presumably for Microsoft to fix it.  Until that occurs, we cannot offer any advice on how to make IE7 work.

If you are using IE7 and are experiencing problems accessing our site databases, we suggest the following.

1.  Report the problem to Microsoft.  If they tell you that it is a site problem rather than an IE problem, do not believe them.

2.  Keep an older version of IE or a recent version of Netscape, Firefox, or Opera on your computer and use that to access the databases.  All of those browsers work correctly.

Aside from the databases, it is also possible that IE7 may not correctly interpret our regular webpages.  So far we have not heard of such a problem.  If you do experience a problem with display, dropdowns, or other issues while using IE7, please report those to me so that we can determine if a change in the page code will fix the problem.  Please report such issues to me personally rather than through the list.

Since there is nothing we can do at this time about the databases, there is no point in reporting such problems to us.  We will let you know if we hear about any fixes.  Please also let us know if hear that Microsoft has (or supposedly has) fixed its problem.

Jerry Frank