[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] writing family history

Mike McHenry maurmike1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 20 07:39:53 PST 2006

This sort of discussion always makes wonder how they managed to get these
names right in ships manifests. My ancestors all came by way of the North
German Lloyd Line. I have always assumed the ships officers were German and
they prepared the manifest. On the recent posting by me on Lodz, the
manifest spelled it without a diacritic. How would a German immigrant
pronounce it to the ships officer?

                                        Mike