[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passports or identity papers

Carolyn Schott cgschott at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 21 12:34:32 PST 2006

Not sure if this will help, but I'll relate my own experience looking for my
grandfather's ship info.

I had the shipping line, date and port information from my grandfather's
naturalization papers, and with that located the correct ship.  But looking
in the National Archive indexes, could not find Johann Peter Schott.  Since
we had the family rumor that he'd used his brother-in-law's passport (which
frankly, I had been scoffing at a bit), I thought, just for fun, I'd try the
brother-in-law's name, Jakob Schuldheisz.  Sure enough, I found him in the
index, and looked at the actual passenger list.

On the actual passenger list, the name "Schudheisz, Jakob" is on the
original line.  In different handwriting, parts of the name are scratched
out and other stuff written in until it becomees "Schott, Joh. Peter."  On
the original, he is going to his "friends Friedrich and Christ Schott" in
North Dakota.  Again, in the other handwriting, "friends" becomes
"brothers."

My theory on this - he needed the passport to get out of Russia.  He either
needed identification to get on the ship, or simply thought he should be
consistent in traveling under the brother-in-law's name as long as he was in
Europe and might somehow run afoul of Russian authorities (although he left
from Bremen.)

I'm assuming that arriving in America he DIDN'T need identification - I know
that passports weren't required for entry to the US at that time.  He
wouldn't have had a passport in his real name, and if he'd needed ID (for
any reason) he would have had to stick with the brother-in-law's name.
Instead, he apparently decided that he wanted to enter the country using his
real name, or wanted the passenger list to be right if the ship went down or
something.

Obviously, much of this is speculation, but it seems to fit.

Carolyn