[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passports or Identity Papers

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 16:09:27 PST 2006

Freidrich Less' naturalization papers provide this info:  Dated 3  April
1909, Alpena, Michigan:
.....imigrated to the U.S. from Hamburg, Germany on or about 25 day of May
1902 and arrived at port of New York in the United States on the vessel
Bataviga....."  With the naturalization papers being filled out 6 years  after Less
arrived here he may have forgotten some of the facts he supplied for  this
paper.  The ship itself I have not been able to find one with this  name at least
in the Ellis Island records.  I have checked Ancestry this  week on their
free opportunity and they said there was no records for this  Freidrich Less, age
19, arriving in 1903.  So - where do I go from  here?

The Freidrich Less you found Gunether as coming into Maryland at age 26 can
not be the right one.  We do have proof of Freidrich Less' birth year at  1884
from his Confirmation paper.
That would definitely make him age 19 when immigrating.  Besides if he  was
trying to move from having to deal with the Russian Army it seems age 19  would
have been the right time to get out.  He was younger than his  brother,
Erdmann, who was in the military and immigrated the year before in  1902.  Both of
them lived in Alpena, Michigan for a few years when they  first came to the
USA and worked as lumberjacks there.

Thanks for all of you trying to help me on this.  If anyone has any  ideas
what to do next in this research let me know.  What about going to  the Hamburg
records?  Does anyone have any success from those?

Virginia Less