[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passenger Lists from Germany

Mike McHenry maurmike1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 22 09:00:02 PST 2006

The EI and ancestry.com databases were extracted the ships manifest. These
were prepared by the ships crew. In the case of ships sailing from Bremen
and Hamburg these would be mostly German with German crews. Hence you have
Germans speaking to Germans. The problem mostly originates with the old
style of German hand writing. People extracting have a very difficult time
reading it. At Ellis Island index cards were made up for each immigrant by
the immigration authorities. I believe the process was similar at other
ports.

                                        Mike