[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passports or Identity Papers

Schemioneck, Nell Nell.Schemioneck at AirservicesAustralia.com
Wed Nov 22 15:13:55 PST 2006

This could be a possibility.  One of my ancestors got on the boat in
England with one name, became very friendly with a family on the boat
(he was also only young) and got off with their name.  Until we picked
this up we thought he may have died on the voyage.  For the rest of his
life he used his adopted family name.

Blessings on all your families for Thanksgiving

Nell Schemioneck
Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of
GVLESS at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, 23 November 2006 5:50 AM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passports or Identity Papers

This note may be the end of my quest for my husband's father's
immigration records - or maybe not.  Just got an e-mail from my
husband's brother  (still
living) who said he recalls a cousin of theirs mentioned once that he
thought that "Uncle Fred" came over with a family group.  Could it be
possible then that there would be no way of discovering "Fred's" record
if  listed with a family??  For a 19-yr. old to travel in those days
maybe it  would have been the thing to do to hook up with some family,
especially if he  did not have a passport or identity paper.......
But that family name - who knows that now!

I do know that Fred Less arrived in the late spring that 1903 year in
Alpena, Michigan according to a story told by his brother long ago.  So
it  would be possible he was on the ship Batavia that sailed in May from
Hamburg, arriving NY June 8.  But if with a family group???
his name may be most difficult to find on a ship's manifest list.

Well, even tho I do not have to prepare for our Thanksgiving tomorrow I
am enjoying  this computer contact with you all.  My small family will
be  with me
at my new home in a retirement facility eating turkey of course.   This
is a
new role for me enjoying a lifestyle that is so different.  And -
having time to do research, I hope.  Thank you all for your comments.
Have loved hearing from you.    I promised my husband just  before he
died in
2003 that I would do more research on the Less name - so here  I am
finally with the time to do it.

Virginia Less