[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passports or Identity Papers

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Wed Nov 22 20:38:26 PST 2006

Virginia,

I cannot speak with certainty about the ships records for 1903, but I
can say that in 1906 in Boston that every person in my mother's
family was listed, including the 2 year old kids.   So, unless your
husband's father intentionally used a different surname than his own,
he should be there, assuming that the record exists.

In the 1906 record I note above, I looked for years without finding
it, and then one day I looked for a cousin and not only found the
cousin, but my grandmother and her parents and one great grandparent
as well- they all arrived together.    In my case, I was looking for
the name Sihlis or Sihle, both of which are in the family
bible.   The ship record listed them as Silis.    I suspect that your
lack of success is similar.    You just have not yet been inventive
enough in the spelling of the name!   My wife looked high and low for
one of her Watson surnames in the census data- she finally found it
extracted as Wotton.

In your case, you seem to know the date and place of arrival.   If I
were you, I would not trust that someone correctly extracted the
surname you seek.    Since you now have the time, you should consider
looking at the original ship records in their entirely.    You can do
that in Ancestry, and probably on other sites by scrolling through
all of the pages for a given place and time, one page at a time.

Gary