[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lying about age on ship's passenger list

Carolyn Schott cgschott at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 28 20:21:26 PST 2006

Was there any advantage for an adult to lie about their age on a ship's
passenger list?  For a child, I can see wanting to get a lower fare.  But
what point would there be for someone who's 31 to say they're 25?  Or for
someone 58 to say they're 47?

I think I finally found my great-grandmother - I think she traveled to
America with her 2 married sisters and used one of the in-law's names on the
passenger list.  The names all match...the date they arrived in the U.S.
matches when they said they came.  But every single one of the ages is off -
often drastically!  (i.e. not a date rounding thing.)

Has anyone else seen this?

Carolyn Schott