[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Help with town name

Joe Pessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Thu Nov 30 21:02:56 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donne, Alexsana" <ADonne at sara.com>
To: <ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:49 PM
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Help with town name

> I have found a mention of my ggrandmother in an obituary.  Her maiden name
was Margaretha Allmer and the obit said she was born in Ballis, Russia.  I
haven't found this town so far. I believe her father's name was Michael, but
am not positive.  Margaretha was born 8 Oct 1865. Her family immigrated
prior to 1893, as she married my ggrandfather in 1893 in Scotland, Bon
Homme, South Dakota.

> Any suggestions on what this town is?  One name that came up on jewish-gen
was Balei, but this appears to be in a part of Russia near China.

> Thanks
> Lexi

Did you check all 37 countries at the Jewish-gen site?  There are some
similar names in other countries besides Russia, some in the Ukraine.

Joe Pessarra