[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Format for Dates, Places, Tel, Names

Joe Pessarra joepessarra at cox.net
Mon Oct 2 13:35:10 PDT 2006

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 16:03:16 -0600
> From: "Ted Belke" <belketb at telus.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Format for Dates, Places, Tel,
> Names
> To: "Clifford" <clifford at holtz.ca>, "eclipse"
> <ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org>
> Cc: C2 Holtz <clifford at holtz.ca>
>
> Hi All
>
> I agree there should be a standard format for expressing dates and I
really
> like the format that we are using where dates are expressed as 1 October
> 2006  and would not like to see it changed.
>
> Several examples have been given to support a change to the "General to
> Particular" format but there many other examples where "Particular to
> General" formats are commonly used on a daily basis, for example letter
> addresses, people names, etc.
>
>  In my opinion it is not broken so it does not need fixing. Please leave
it
> alone.
>
> Particular to General----Ted Belke

Guess that I agree with Ted.  If there are some special genealogy programs
that require a certain format, I guess you have to go with whatever format
that is.  But, in general, I like to see the month spelled out (abbr.).  As
Ted says, that seems to be the norm in letters now.  I don't use any
genealogy programs, so I can't speak to their usage.

Joe in Texas