[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans in Poland, Russia

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 14:38:19 PDT 2006

Lublin and Chelm are clearly in my area of interest (as well as the rest of Team Lublin). Plock is not near Lublin so I don't know how that relates to your other Haufs who seemed to be near Lublin both before and after the birth of Adolf. Russia and Poland could be synonymous here since Poland did not exist in the late 1800s - this area was all part of Russia.

  The Lublin church has spotty records of this time period and hopefully soon we will learn what records are available there in different years. The Lublin area is very well represented in EWZ so if relatives remained in the area hopefully they stayed until 1940. Binof and Bieniew probably refer to the town Bienow, a small town a little east of Chelm. Chelm is in eastern Poland (near the Ukraine) and Lublin is the capital of the province a bit to its west. Ostrowicz is more questionable but could be Ostrowek. There are numerous cases around Lublin but the closest is a long of a horse ride away from Bienow.

  A SGGEE volunteer is now extracting EWZ data from the towns in this area. I can tell him to keep an eye out for the name Hauf in case anyone from this family stayed in the area.

dollyhauf at peoplepc.com wrote:
  Hello All;
I am trying to find a link between the places these Hauff brothers have listed on different papers as their home or place of birth. Is anyone familiar with these places? Are they in the same territory? Where would I begin to look for their births or Baptisms and find out about their parents? They were Germans, Lutheran. Father should be Daniel Hauff and mother should be Matilda or Justina or Christina Fredrick.

Hauff, Ferdinand, born Aug 15, 1883. Places listed on different papers are Chelin; Lublin, Poland; Lublina, Cubern, Poland

Hauff, Adolf, born Dec. 15, 1886. Places : Ostrowicz, Russia. Left for the US from Glowic, Plock, Russia

Hauff, Gustav, born Aug. 15, 1888, Place: Russia, Poland

Hauff, Wilhelm, born May 13, 1889, Place: Chelm, Poland, Russia

Hauff, Gottfried, born March 24, 1894, Places: Binof, Russia, Poland; Tubin (Lubin?), Russia

Hauff, Edward, born Nov. 29, 1895, Place: Bieniew Lubin, Poland

I would really appreciate any ideas you have as to where I should start looking !!!

Thanks so much;
Dolly Hauf