[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tidbits of Info

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 5 14:36:17 PDT 2006

Robert -

I don't recall if I was told about it first or if I first encountered it in my research.  I don't remember seeing the practice very much in the Volhynia extractions I did but it was very common in the early Russian Poland records I have researched and in the Wuerttemberg records I have encountered going all the way back to c.1560.

It may be that the practice is most popular in certain regions.  I have found numerous examples in my Schwabisch maternal line but none in my paternal line of unknown origins.  I don't know if it was common practice in Prussian regions.  Perhaps someone else can advise further about that.

Jerry