[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tidbits of Info

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 5 15:44:34 PDT 2006

Lexi:

Trying to establish rules or even guidelines regarding naming practices can be very tricky - perhaps even unwise.  Just when you think you have found a pattern, the rule gets broken.  If you rely too much on the pattern, your research can be slowed or may contain errors.

The example currently under discussion occurs but never with consistency.  It may change from one generation to another, from one family branch to another; or may skip a generation or two.

When you encounter anomalies, it is probably best to simply question them in a forum such as this.  Chances are that someone else has "been there" and you will get an explanation.

In spite of my caution, I would encourage others to participate in this discussion by letting us know certain practices that you may have uncovered in your German research.

Jerry Frank