[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Names, names, names. . .

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 6 05:20:57 PDT 2006

At 03:49 AM 06/10/2006, Günther Böhm wrote:
>Otto schrieb:
>
> >Catholic girls usually have a 'Mary' in there somewhere, and Lutheran
> >girls an 'Anna'. (indicators)
> >

>Otto,
>I agree with all you wrote and appreciate it very much.
>Just one correction: 'Anna' (the mother of Mary) is a catholic indicator.
>
>Typical Lutheran names were - out of Martin of course - Gottfried,
>Gottlieb, Christian ("the christianized"), Gustav (Gustav Adolf, king of
>Sweden) and a lot of old-testamentarian names like Adam, Daniel, Jonas
>and Elias.
>
>Guenther

Again one must remember the variations in Otto's so-called clusters.

In my research of the records for Nagold,
Wuerttemberg as well as others in the Sulz am
Neckar area to the south, the Lutherans, over
several hundred years, continued the practice of
using a saint's name for several children in the
family.  Several sons might be named Johann
Gottlieb, Johann Jacob, Johann Georg, etc. and be
known by their Ruffnahme - the second
name.  Similarly the daughters might be Maria
Agnes, Maria Dorothea, Maria Katharina,
etc.  Anna Maria was also a very popular name
there.  If a son was only to be known as "John"
rather than another Ruffnahme, he would be named Johannis or Hans.

All this emphasis on Maria IN SPITE of the fact
that they were Protestant Lutheran.  And while
other Biblical names were given, no other saint's
names were used as duplicates - only Johann and Maria.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca