[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tidbits of Info

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 06:57:21 PDT 2006

Regarding what Jerry says about it being used in his Schwabisch line, below is what my brother-in-law wrote me on this topic. He was born near Stuttgart and is fully Schwabisch and has researched his family history back to the 16th century as well.

  "I ran into several occasions where a child was named after the one that died.
in one of my families this happened 4 times.  Confusing? "

  I must say I haven't really seen this much among my own research. My grandparents had 11 children of which only 6 made it past the age of one. Every child was given a unique name. Of course this is in the time frame of 1912-1930.

Jerry Frank <FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca> wrote:
  Robert -

I don't recall if I was told about it first or if I first encountered it in my research. I don't remember seeing the practice very much in the Volhynia extractions I did but it was very common in the early Russian Poland records I have researched and in the Wuerttemberg records I have encountered going all the way back to c.1560.

It may be that the practice is most popular in certain regions. I have found numerous examples in my Schwabisch maternal line but none in my paternal line of unknown origins. I don't know if it was common practice in Prussian regions. Perhaps someone else can advise further about that.

Jerry