[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name translations

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Mon Oct 9 19:39:41 PDT 2006

Hi Dan,

>    My grandmothers name on a Russian document is given  as
> Emilia Yakovleva Mayert.  Can anyone tell me the German  or
> English version of Yakovleva?

I believe that Yakovleva is the Russian form of the patronymic
name that Russians use.  It means "daughter of Yakov".  Or
in other words, her father's given name was Jakob (in German).

Germans did not use the patronymic naming convention, so any
birth record for her will probably not list the name of Yakovleva.

> And is Adolph the Russianized version of Adolf, or are they
> fully interchangeable?

The Cyrillic alphabet has not combination of letters like English
or German.  The Russian form of Adolph would have the Cyrillic
equivalent of the letter 'F'.  Adolph would be the German or  English
equivalent of the Russian Adolf.  Germans, however use both
spellings.

Take care,

    -Paul