[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Further to Name translations

Dan dbuss at pathcom.com
Tue Oct 10 18:04:36 PDT 2006

    Thank you Jerry, Paul, Dave, Otto, Karl and others for the most enlightening replies. I'm so grateful.  Indeed, grandmother's father was Jacob so the patrynomic system seems to be the answer because in no other sources do I see a middle name.  Also Mayert is now another addition to the many variants on the name 'Maiert' in my file.
    This leads to one more question.  In these Russian documents that I have had translated, my grandfather's military documents actually, his name is given as Adolph Wilhelmovich Buss.  My family sources give no indication that grandfather had a middle name.  Since his father's name was Wilhelm, is this another case of the patrynomic thing, but applied to a male?
Thanks again,
Dan Buss