[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hamburg Emmigration Lists

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Thu Oct 12 11:46:35 PDT 2006

 Hi Wilma,

     Sorry for the late reply - I had a busy week at work.

     I'll tell you how I'd look for these people in the Hamburg passenger
 lists:

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Wilma Schultz wrote:
 [snip]

> I know that the Anna Hruda and Franziska are mine for sure.  I know they
> came through Boston on Jan 19, 1895 on the ship Canadia and made their
> way to Winipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I was hoping to find additional info on
> the Hamberg List.

    I assume you've looked at the Boston list already? Did the "Canadia"
 arrive from Hamburg? If the "Canadia" started its voyage in Hamburg,
 (even if it made stops along the way), then those passengers should
 be in the Direct passenger lists. Order film 472941, which has the
 passenger lists from January till June, 1895, and start looking through
 the ships that sailed in early January till you find the "Canadia",
 then look through the Canadia's passengers till you find the Hrudas,
 and see what the list tells you about them.  If you don't find the
 "Canadia" in January 1895, you should start at the end of film 472940,
 and see if it left in December 1894. (I'm not sure how long a mid-winter
 crossing would have taken).

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Wilma Schultz wrote:

> Andreas Kuhn I suspect is mine.  I know he came to
> Canada, landing in Quebec in June or July 5, 1893 ( but I haven't been
> able to locate the ship record on mircofilm yet- have searched but
> haven't found it).  The birthdate is off, but that doesn't necessarily
> mean anything.   The rest I suspect are mine:  I was hoping to confirm
> with details from the Hamberg list.

    In this case you know the year, but you don't know the ship, and you
 don't know whether he came directly from Hamburg, or indirectly from
 Liverpool or Glasgow. So he's a case where you have to use the indexes.
 Film 473098 is an index for the direct route passengers who left
 between April and June 1893. Film 1049089 has indirect route passengers
 from 1892 to 1894 - this film actually contains two index volumes,
 one for January to July 1892 (volume 19); and one from July 1892 to
 December 1894 (volume 20) - you need to search vol 20 for Andreas Kuhn.

     These indexes are only sorted by the first letter of the surname,
 they aren't fully alphabetised, so if you are looking for the name Kuhn,
 you have to read through all the Ks. When you find your person, there
 will be a page number after their name. That's the page you have to look
 for in the passenger list itself, which is on a different film.

     Occasionally there are problems with the indexing, when they
 misjudged how many pages were needed for popular letters. In that
 case, I've seen the overflow squeezed into spaces at the end of
 unpopular letters, where there was still space left. So it might
 be worth making a quick scan to see if there are any blocks of
 misplaced K surnames.

> So if I do not know the ship or exact sailing date, can I still look them
> up??  The "Links To Your Roots" seems to have them listed by passanger
> #'s.  Am I able to use these numbers to look them up? Are the Hamberg
> passanger lists and the Hamberg departure lists one and the same? Can you
> elaborate on how to use/look up names on the lists?

   I'm not sure what the passenger numbers in "Links To Your Roots" are,
 or whether you can use them. I see that don't give you ship names or
 sailing dates for free, which is what would help the most.

     Yes, passenger lists, departure lists are the same thing.

          Hope this helps,

              Paul Rakow
              rakow at ifh.de
              Liverpool