[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name translations

Dan dbuss at pathcom.com
Thu Oct 12 15:02:20 PDT 2006

Hello all,
    Thanks again for the recent great discussions on names in answer to my query on Russian patrynomic names - Yakovleva and Wilhelmovich.
On re-reading these, a short sentence by Karl Krueger really piqued my interest and many thoughts ran through my head.  He said "The German spelling of her given name would have been Emilie (pronounced the same as you would say Emilia)". Wow!
    In our family we pronounced mother's name as Albertina, and grandmother's name as Amelia. When I obtained a copy of our parent's marriage registration, presumably filled out by the pastor of their Lutheran Church, mother's name was written as Albertine, and grandmother's as Emilie. When I told my sister I was changing the names in in our Buss Family book to Albertine and Emilie she was abit miffed, but if thats what it said, so be it. Now it seems we may have had it correct in the first place. Am I right in thinking that German "ine" or "ie" at the end of many given names in written documents is pronounced as "ina" or "ia"?  Similarly Wilhelmina for Wilhelmine, Augustina for Augustine, etc.
Anxiously awaiting...
Dan Buss