[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name translations +

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Oct 15 08:13:52 PDT 2006

Jan Textor is correct.
Annegret Krause is correct.
Some may feel I'm not, I will leave the door open for that.

The spellings are not 'pictographic' symbols as perhaps Chinese
Mandarin.
Our alphabet characters generate sound. Vowel combinations,
'diphthongs', generate double sounds. -example> The name 'Leon' with
an 'eo' vowel combination is never pronounced 'Leen' or 'Lon'.

Following is an expanded upon excerpt from an E-letter I'd sent to
Dan previously.
Everyone unfamiliar with the German language should as least learn
how to sound out the alphabet in German. After all, isn't that what
our forefathers were about?

It would be beneficial to learn the sounds of the Polish alphabet,
also the Russian alphabet. They are fascinating to learn. It is
amazing what we do not know until we try.

In German every letter is pronounced. . . precisely.
If you've studied Latin in school it is similar in some ways.
More than anything else German is spoken precisely.

Albertine is pronounced as Ahl'beer'teen'eh     (feminine of Albert/
Albrecht)
the ending 'e' is never pronounced Anglo style as 'uh', but always as
'eh' -precisely.
an 'uh' gets the klutz award.  :D (yes, I have a few awards)(German
was my first language)
(I have German cousins constantly reminding me of proper sounds with
pedantic glee.)
Emilie is pronounced as Aye'meel'ee'eh   (feminine of Emil)
Practice pronouncing the two names.

In German 'E' is sounded as 'AYE'
'I' as 'EE' and short 'e' as 'eh'
The German alphabet without umlaut characters and the double S
character (ß) Eszet (ess'tset)
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Pronouncing the alphabet in German..
(spelled out phonetically.  Read as if English to obtain the German
sound.)

Ahh, Bay, Tsay, Day, Aye, Eff, Gay, Hah, Ee, Yut, Kah, El, Em, En,
Oh,  Pay, Koo, Are, Ess, Tay, Ooh,  Fou, Vay, Ixx, Ipsilon,
Tset        The 'Y' is named the same as the 2oth. letter of the
Greek alphabet, 'ipsilon'. We are interested in the sound generated
by pronouncing 'ipsilon'... 'iu' or 'ih' if you prefer, for the Y sound.

Now that you can speak German, go for it.  My Canadian cousins are
exceptionally adept at the 'Aye' sound.
Practice rolling your 'R's' by speaking out 'Burro' each night to
fall asleep by. A neat trill should develop. (I still mask my trill
when I speak the English language, it warped my tongue) Next, we'll
move most of the vocalization to the back of the mouth, gutturals,
throaty sounds, so we can practice umlauts to bring the sounds back
to the front of the tongue again.  When the lessons are complete you
will appreciate the English language.

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of October 15, 2006-