[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name translations

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 15 09:16:01 PDT 2006

I have been following this discussion with great interest and I have
learned a lot from all of your comments and ideas.  Perhaps some of
you can shed some light on some questions that I have, involving the
names: Schachtschneider  and/or Schattschneider/Shattschneider  from
Congress Poland.

My understanding is  that these are different family names, but
within my wife's family, these names were used interchangeably and
without much rhyme or reason.  In particular, we have documents from
church, civil and personal correspondence for her Grandfather that
show all variations at different times in his life.  (Compounding the
problem is the fact that after he had been in the US for a few years,
he changed his name to Sneider and his two brothers changed their
name to Schneider.)

Do any of you have any ideas or knowledge concerning the origins of
these surnames and their evolution?  Does translating the name
between German and Polish have any bearing on the spelling or the
pronunciation?

Thanks very much for your consideration.  Greg Mason