[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name translations

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Sun Oct 15 13:33:03 PDT 2006

Greg Mason schrieb:

>I have been following this discussion with great interest and I have
>learned a lot from all of your comments and ideas.  Perhaps some of
>you can shed some light on some questions that I have, involving the
>names: Schachtschneider  and/or Schattschneider/Shattschneider  from
>Congress Poland.
>
>My understanding is  that these are different family names, but
>within my wife's family, these names were used interchangeably and
>without much rhyme or reason.  In particular, we have documents from
>church, civil and personal correspondence for her Grandfather that
>show all variations at different times in his life.  (Compounding the
>problem is the fact that after he had been in the US for a few years,
>he changed his name to Sneider and his two brothers changed their
>name to Schneider.)
>
>Do any of you have any ideas or knowledge concerning the origins of
>these surnames and their evolution?  Does translating the name
>between German and Polish have any bearing on the spelling or the
>pronunciation?

Hello Greg,
yes, the name is not too rare and its original meaning is known.
In modern German, Schacht = shaft, the vertical traffic route of a mine.
But in Middle High German, there was just the word Schaft = spear, pole,
stick, tool handle. And a Schaftschneider who later bekame a
Schachtschneider, was in most cases a spear maker (spears were not
allowed to be turned - like today by machines - but had to be cut along
the wood grain to make them more elastic and prevent rupturing).
Schattschneider is just abraded from Schachtschneider.

Guenther