[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schattschneider; was: Name translations +

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Mon Oct 16 02:28:01 PDT 2006

Hello Rose,

> ...This is so true!  But we are here to learn, are we not?

I don´t know if we are here to learn. For me it is more an exchange of
experiances and opinions. Which try was successful and whichone not. Was a
success result of using the right proceedures or just a find by chance? I
don´t think I can teach others what to do.

I´m here in the list and a member of the SGGEE because its more fun to help
my wife on her genealogy than work on my own. All the films which are of
matter to my genalogy are restricted off Germany. The Biała Górne civil
records films where the first in my wifes genealogy that are restricted off
Europe. So she had to write to the Archiwum Państwowe w Częstochowie to get
the records she needed to proceed.

> As for name spelling variations, sometimes I don't think the
> pastors or recorders thought much about spelling either.
> I have looked at thousands of entries in my research, and it
> believe the pastors many times wrote the name according to
> what it sounded like and I do not think they were good at
> spelling either, including town names.    The records from
> late 1700's and early 1800's in German bear this out.  After
> that the names found in Polish written records (written with
> a 'Polish tongue') sometimes were better and sometimes
> worse.

Thats, what I wanted to express in my mail: 'Words Pronounciations'. Perhaps
I should have entiteled it 'different spelling - identical pronounciation'.
I came across this 'Polish tongue' so many times and got stuck! Since a kind
helper explained to me the Polish pronounciation of a Polish spelled German
name, I could go on. This also explains to me, how the name Schüßler changed
to Scheisssler. In the area where these people come from, there the spelling
of the names vary from
Schüßler <=> Schießler
Küstner <=> Kistner or
Fielmann <=> Felmann.
As I found in Polish records very often an e being replaced i and vice
versa, why shouldn´t this be here the case too? For someone who doesn´t know
the German u Umlaut ü, a misreading a ii is very near.

> It is up to us to record all odd spelling varitions we find in our
> Notes when doing our genealogy.

Thats why I posted my first mail at this list regarding 'German names' many
years ago (remember Oskar Kosmanns list).

Schöne Grüße aus Landsberg am Lech,

Reiner