[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] spelling and pronounciatin

Werner R Suess wernersue at msn.com
Mon Oct 16 08:55:10 PDT 2006

Hello, Talking about German spelling  of names. I have to deal with ü, ue, h, ss, ß. I have run into all kinds of combinations when spelling my last name. Coming to the States it became Suess, my cousin coming in 1914 became Sees. In Germany we wrote it as Sü.s, in Poland and Volhynia as Sühs, Süß, Süss. So for me ü became ue, ., h. ß became ss. As to the pronunciation, Sees is probably the closest to English.