[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name translations +

JMPerl47 at aol.com JMPerl47 at aol.com
Tue Oct 17 04:53:26 PDT 2006

In a message dated 10/15/2006 11:23:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
otto at schienke.com writes:

Now that  you can speak German, go for it.

I just love this list. When I started my genealogy hobby (HAHAHA), I joined
it, thinking my relatives were from Volhynia. By the time I figured out they
were from the Berlin area, I was hooked and have remained on the list because
it's so informative and I learn so much and I just love the way everyone
helps  each other out and has these wonderful discussions.

Anyway, I spent 3 weeks in Germany recently. Before I went, I got some CD's
to learn a few useful phrases in German. Which was nice, I suppose. But I
would  have been so much further ahead to learn the German pronunciation of the
letters, as Otto recommends, because I couldn't even sound out the German words
 when I was trying to talk to someone with limited English.  For example, we
say Berlin, they say Bearleen. The vowel sounds make all the difference in
the  world.