[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] G-R farm machinery

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Tue Oct 17 13:05:15 PDT 2006

    This query fits nicely with the discussion we've been having about
 phonetics. I saw Lloyd's photo on another list, which didn't cut it out.

   Your HEXAL machine is a H"ackselschneider, a H"acksel-cutter.

   Whoever suggested it was a hexal machine had the the sound almost
 perfect, H"acksel (with a-umlaut) sounds just like hexal.

    H"acksel is the German word for straw or green plants chopped short
 to make fodder for cattle, the word has the same roots as the English
 word hack.

   Last year I read a report, written in 1784, about one of my ancestral
 villages in Pommern. This said "The buildings in the village are in fair
 condition, except for the roofs. This Spring, because of the shortage of
 fodder, the villagers pulled down their thatched roofs to make H"acksel
 to feed the animals."

      Farming could be a tough life.

           Paul Rakow
           rakow at ifh.de