[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Alternative Surnames

Jutta Dennerlein Jutta.Dennerlein at t-online.de
Sun Oct 22 05:24:33 PDT 2006

Gary,

does your answer to Annegret mean, that SGGEE is broadcasting the
information that the names "Wojciechowicz" and "Krause" are variations
of the same family name, that there actually is no proper source for
this information ("the Turek and Konin marriages of the 1840s" are
quite a big pile of records), that it anyway might be a marriage based
"name change" and that the information might also be an error of one
or two of your larger submitters of data?

It had always been my impression that there are quite a lot of rather
questionable "name changes" in the Alternate Surnames text file (how
did "Gurski change to Nierenberg" or "Kopp to Schumacher"). But I
always assumed that the basic meaning of this file was to help people
in their research.

But if people who are desperately looking for a "Krause" ancestor are
sent back to the already researched church books to research
Wojciechowicz (and all the spelling variations of this name), I'm
worried that this might delay their research unnecessarily. Especially
since there seems to be no serious reason at all to link and publish
this name change in the Alternate Surnames list.

There is a rather longish "disclaimer" at the beginning of the list,
that actually says, that the list also contains all the spelling
errors of your Pedigree database. I'm deeply worried about that! After
all some people are quoting this Alternate Surnames list and giving it
as the source of their information. In this way some people's spelling
errors (which happen all the time and are just human) are broadcasted
as new "genealogical facts" and this is ridiculous!

The Polish and the German language are using diacritic letters.
Diacritic letters indicate how a letter or the word in the context is
pronounced. Most of the alleged changes of German names in Polish
church books are based on similar pronunciation of differently spelled
names. Therefore the German and Polish diacritic letters are
essential.
An Alternate Surname list can never handle name changes properly if
the diacritic letters are omitted!

What about stripping all the errors from the list, keeping only
information that is linked to a proper source (like a church book
entry) and displaying the names as they are given in these sources?

Maybe the other readers on this mailing list have some more ideas to
help to improve the Alternate Surnames list?

Kind regards (and still deeply worried)

Jutta Dennerlein
www.upstreamvistula.org