[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] the story of the spellings of the name SCHUR

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Sun Oct 22 15:47:13 PDT 2006

Dear fellow searchers,
it seems as if some of us think I´d tell fairy-tales rgarding my posting
from October 13-15th regarding pronounciation of words. If somebody has
doubts on something I posted here, I expect more than just saying "You are
wrong". To prove what I said, I take the case that seemed most
incredible - Schlar vs Schur.

On November 2, 1998, I received the following transscription from a polish
researcher:

Archiwum Archidiecezjlne w Gieznie
ul. Kolegiaty 2, 62-200 Gniezno

Księi metrykalne prafii Lisewo, sygn. A 106/3
Liber baptizatorum, copulatorum et mortuarum 1748-1813

fol. 164 v. Mamlickie Hollendry

Anno 1812, die 29 Februarii

Ego, qui supra - Mathias Szulc, Commendarius Lisseviensis - baptisavi
infantem
nomine Annam Eleonoram natam die 23 ejusdem filam parentum legitimorum
Jacobi Meister et Mariannae nata Schlar. Patrini fuere: Michael Meister et
Anna Krahn.

This made me worry, because the record of Anna Eleonora MEISTER (Sompolno
ev. 1850/032) second marriage said, her parents were Jakuba MEISTER oo
Marianny SCHUR (in her death-record her mothers name was Marianna STÖCKER -
wrong!).

Until today I don´t know, wether the polish researcher misread the
baptism-record or just could not edit the correct characters in his
transscription. One year later when we travelled to Poland, I met a woman
with german parents which grew up bilingual. Until the age of 6 with German
after that learnig Polish as going to the local primary school that after
the end of WW II had become Polish. She said, the only way the
transscription from Gniezno could make sense would be, if the l in the name
of the mother was a ł and not a l.
So I requested the film of Lisewo to read the original myself (if somebody
wants a scan, I will send it). In this record the name was written
"Schlar"!!!!!!! I just was mixed up. I asked a person who is very skilled in
old Polish script to read the record for me and got the name being Schłar.
The explanation given to me was, that in old Polish script the character
looking like a German l (a loop) stands for ł. The character standing for a
l is written like a t without the dash.

At that time (1812), the Polish pronounciation of the word "Schłar" would
(in English) be "shooe" (the e at the end nearly voiceless like the e in the
English word token).

The pronounciation would be exactly (!!!!!!!!!) the same as in German
"Schur".

Best wishes,

Reiner