[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Looking for my Grandfathers History

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 23 22:25:51 PDT 2006

At 08:07 PM 23/10/2006, Gladys L. Rogers wrote:
>Hello List:
>
>I am new to this list so I may not be checking on the right list.  I
>am looking so see if anyone can help me determine my grandfathers
>Russian name.
>
>He, Procup Semion Sapsky came over here from, we think, Buzuluk,
>Kiev, Russia but when he arrived here whoever checked him in could
>not understand his last name so it was shortened to "Sapsky".  We
>know that that is not correct BUT don't know what to do to find the
>correct name.  I am told that his last name was long with a lot of
>letters BUT that's it.  We know that he was in the Russian Army and
>went AWOL to the United States because he didn't like all the
>killing, etc that was going on.  He was supposed to have left a
>family there as well.
>
>Procup Semion Sapsky
>Born:  July 7, 1869
>Died:  March 21, 1962 in Galveston, Tx.
>
>His immigration papers say that he left Bremon, Germany on April 2,
>1905 and arrived here May 1, 1905 on the SS Frankfort.  My mother
>tells me he came into New York and traveled thru Canada and somehow
>ended up in Galveston, Tx.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.  If not on this list then maybe you
>could suggest the list that I should go to.
>
>Thanks in Advance!
>
>Gladys Stelter Rogers

Hi Gladys.

Regrettably I think this list does not serve your needs.  Our focus
is on ethnic Germans from Volhynia and Russian Poland.

The Ellis Island website indicates that the SS Frankfurt only made
intermittent stops there (only 9 between 1901 and 1910), none of them
in 1905.  You will probably need to find a Ukrainian mailing list to
post your question.  There are several at http://www.rootsweb.com
.  If the family was Jewish, you can try http://www.jewishgen.org
.  In any case, you will have to get a more accurate idea of when he
came as the original passenger record may provide more detail.

Note that I also checked for arrivals of the Frankfurt at Canadian
ports but none occurred until 1912.

I also could not find a Buzuluk near Kiev.  There is a place in
Ukraine with that exact spelling much further south.  You can find it
using http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca