[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] A seminar in Poland?

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 23 23:01:37 PDT 2006

An idea that has been floating about for a few years is that there should be
a genealogical seminar of some sort overseas, close to our ancestral areas
and all that. That way people could mix a seminar with visits to their
villages and the like. Seminar sessions would be in English, of course, but
there would sessions on using the local language as well. The cost of
transportation would certainly be higher than for an event in North America,
but costs on the ground would probably be lower.

Now, a contact of mine in Europe is taking the idea seriously, and
suggesting an event of some sort in September, either in the Chelm area
(just inside the Polish border from Volhynia) or in the Allenstein -
Heilsberg area of Ostpreussen. I have stayed in hotels in both areas that
would be suitable, so I think there is some potential to the idea.

What do the rest of you think? Would there be any interest in this type of
thing?

Thanks

Dave Obee