[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] A seminar in Poland?

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Tue Oct 24 08:08:48 PDT 2006

 Perhaps such a seminar could be used to foster a closer relationship with AGoFF, or at least the Wolhynien.de group, rather than everyone treading separate paths to the same destination, in other words a joint seminar.

John Marsch

--------------------------------------

  I also have some interest in this but I would need some time to plan for such an expedition. Frank and I are both interested in the Lublin-Chelm region and I'm sure there are others from North America and Germany who would have an interest for this region.

  Frank Janke <frank_janke at yahoo.de> wrote:  Hallo,
  Great idea,
  since I live in Germany it is not so far to Poland for me - and I can assist you in many points.
  best regards Frank Janke

  Dave Obee schrieb:
  An idea that has been floating about for a few years is that there should be
  a genealogical seminar of some sort overseas, close to our ancestral areas
  and all that. That way people could mix a seminar with visits to their
  villages and the like. Seminar sessions would be in English, of course, but
  there would sessions on using the local language as well. The cost of
  transportation would certainly be higher than for an event in North America,
  but costs on the ground would probably be lower.

  Now, a contact of mine in Europe is taking the idea seriously, and
  suggesting an event of some sort in September, either in the Chelm area
  (just inside the Polish border from Volhynia) or in the Allenstein -
  Heilsberg area of Ostpreussen. I have stayed in hotels in both areas that
  would be suitable, so I think there is some potential to the idea.

  What do the rest of you think? Would there be any interest in this type of
  thing?

  Thanks

  Dave Obee