[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Belchatow

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Sat Oct 28 14:13:08 PDT 2006

   Is there anyone else here who is interested in Belchatow, a textile
 town in Poland, south of Lodz?

   I have ancestors who lived there in the 1820s. I've found some records
 of my relatives in the microfilmed metrical books, and am now wondering
 what else there might be to look at.

    In the British library I've found a local history book, "Belchatow
 and its historical advance", by Apoloniusz Zawilski, (written 1967, when
 Poland was still communist, which helps to explain the title). It's a
 bit of a struggle reading it, since my Polish is quite feeble.

      From the sources he uses, it seems that there are quite a few
 surviving financial/tax records from the time when the cloth industry
 was getting started, some in the archives in Warsaw. Some of these
 include lists of craftsmen. Has anyone experience of this sort of
 material, maybe from other towns in the Lodz area?

           Paul Rakow
           rakow at ifh.de

 PS - The main Belchatow families I'm interested in are Gruenke and Zibell,
 (with very many spelling variations).