[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] FHL Research Outline

Worth Anderson worth_a at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 28 14:41:56 PDT 2006

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry
about the "Kartei Quassowski."  Some have asked about
the Family History Library Research outline that
mentioned the "Kartei."

I picked it up at my local Family History Center.
When the director noticed I was ordering a Polish
film, she mentioned it had just come in.  It cost
US$3.50 or US$3.75, or something like that.  Bear in
mind the document covers all of Poland, and is not
focused on ethnic Germans.

The document has 35 pages, and is divided into
numerous short sections, such as: biography, census,
church directories, church history, church records,
civil registration, directories (secular), emigration
and immigration, encylopedias and dictionaries,
gazetteers, genealogy, heraldry, historical geography,
history, Jewish records, land and property, language
and languages, maps, military records, minorities,
names (personal), nobility, periodicals, probate
records, social life and customs, societies, etc.

It also has three pages of maps which will be useful
to me in understanding how items for a given place
have been catalogued by the Family History Library.

The information under the headings varies.  For
example, under "Land and Property" it states, in part:
"The Family History Library has very few land records
from Poland.  Because of the availability of better
genealogical sources, such as church records and civil
registration, land records are seldom used in Polish
research.  In addition, land records in Poland are not
easily accessible.  The existing records are now found
at various state archives.  You might be able to use
land records for your research if you can visit the
Polish archives in person or hire a local research
agent."

Under censuses, the document notes that Prussian
population surveys occurred in 1789, 1793, and 1797,
but states census records are scattered and hard to
locate.

Worth