[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia as Germans from Russia - Revisited

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Wed Sep 6 14:52:54 PDT 2006

Your point is well taken, Jerry.  It is quite amazing that Volhynian Germans
are given no place in this account.  It's especially amazing in that a major
point of the article was to emphasize the sufferings of Russia's Germans.
They could have elicited yet more pathos by pointing out the Deportation of
1914-15 from Poland and Volhynia, and the severe persecution of Volhynian
Germans during the 1930s.   I suppose that Polish Volhynian Germans, born
after 1920, might not consider themselves to be Germans "from Russia", as
the Bundestreffen official told Edie, but I can't imagine that Soviet
Volhynian Germans could ever forget where they came from, and it seems
inexcuseable that the Landsmannschaft would be so ignorant of them.

Incidentally, I plead guilty to being a bit confused about what Jerry was
saying in his earlier post.  I thought his point was that Volhynian Germans
felt estranged from Germany because German writers in general had ignored
them.  I see now that he meant only GR writers, and that their estrangement
was from the GR Community in Germany, not from Germany itself.  I hope my
long contribution of yesterday will still seem relevant to something or
other.  In truth, Volhynian Germans have had cause to feel estranged from
both Germany and Russia.  This has something to do, I think, with the title
of Kate Brown's book about Volhynia, "A Biography of NO PLACE".

Dick B.