[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kalish, Kalisz, Kalisch

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Sep 14 05:03:49 PDT 2006

At 12:36 AM 14/09/2006, Dr. Frank Stewner wrote:
>Two sources are talking about "Kalish near
>Lodz". The Frank Index is not helping.
>I found Kaliskie (Kolo Kaliskie) with 52°11'15'' N and 18°37'46''.
>Is that the one or is there a better solution?
>Dr. Frank Stewner

When I see references of this sort, several
questions come to mind - not in any particular order.

1.  What is the actual source of the
information?  If it is a Polish or German
language source, then I would be inclined to
believe that Kalish = Kalisch = Kalisz and that
Kaliskie would not apply.  If it is a
transliteration of Russian Cyrillic, then I could
very easily see where Kaliskie has become
Kalish.  If it is a family story that someone
wrote down from memory, then Kalish could have
been Kaliskie.  Still other sources might require other interpretations.

2.  What does "near" mean in context?  If such a
location description appears in a Baptism record
for example, then I would anticipate that the
scribe is trying to distinguish a village of that
name from another of the same name.  So if the
phrase you provide were in a Baptism record from
Zgierz Parish, I would expect this Kalish (or
some similar variation of the spelling) to be in
very close proximity to Lodz - perhaps say within
10 km or so.  There is of course no precise
distance but yet, in my opinion, quite close.  If
I saw this term in a family story, I would not
necessarily expect it to be very close.  Suppose
someone is living in Germany and grew up in
Alberta, Canada.  To convey this to another
person in Germany, he might write that he was
born in Olds near Calgary.  Well, Olds happens to
be 100 km away from Calgary.  However, he doesn't
expect the reader to know where Olds is but he
might expect, because of the connection with the
1988 Olympics, that the reader in Germany knows
where Calgary is.  So the phrase is used.  Near,
in this context, is really quite far away.  So,
if this phrase appeared in a record in Volhynia,
my thoughts on near would expand to a much further distance.

So, back to the specific example:  The town /
parish of Kalish / Kalisch / Kalisz that we
usually think of is about 95 km west of
Lodz.  Kolo on the other hand is about 72 km
northwest of Lodz.  It seems to me that neither
of these location options is really very "near"
Lodz.  My preference in this case is to stick with Kalish.

Furthermore, I would point out that the
coordinates you provide are exactly for the town
of Kolo.  I have some very detailed maps of that
region and do not see any village in that area
known as Kaliskie or as Kolo Kaliskie.  Without
further context as to source, I believe that
"Kolo Kaliskie" means "Kolo in Kalisz province"
and that therefore there is no village with that name in that location.

In an example such as this, I can only express my
opinion.  If you provide additional context for
the information, I may change that opinion.  :-)

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca