[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tschechei

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Thu Apr 5 10:50:23 PDT 2007

John,

I suspect that our German members will have a better answer to your question
that I can come up with, but here's perhaps a start.  I'm not aware, first
of all, of any use of the word "Tschechei" to designate a particular
governmental region in the 18th century, although I certainly could be
wrong.  In the good old 1911 edition of the Britannica, I read that
"speaking generally, it can be said that the Czechs inhabit a  large part of
Bohemia, a yet larger part of Moravia, parts of Silesia--both Austrian and
Prussian--and extensive districts in northern Hungary."  Apparently you have
found entries in the records in which immigrants to the Lodz area said they
were from "Tschechei"?  If this word refers to "areas where Czechs lived"
(which is possible), then perhaps they had come from any of those areas,
which doesn't nail it down much for you, does it?

Dick B.