[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] town of Modly

Joe Pessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Thu Apr 5 11:27:06 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Schultz" <Schultz120 at comcast.net>
To: <ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:00 AM
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] town of Modly

> Greetings:
>
> >From the Canadian-US Border Crossing/St. Albans Records that are on
on-line on Ancestry.com I see that
> when my grandmother, Berta Petzke, entered the US she listed her nearest
relative as her father, Julius Petzke, living in Plechen, Germany.

> Berta was traveling with her brother, Reinhold Petzke, who listed his
nearest relative as his wife, Rosina, living in Modly or Modla, Russia.

> Can anyone tell me where Modly or Modla is located in relationship to
Plechen?

> Thanks for any assistance.
>
> Donna

Check this site for Pleschen.
http://www.birchy.com/GenWiki/index.php?title=Standesamt_Pleschen  You will
see the results below, but probably understand it better on the site, since
it is in a table.

Standesamt Pleschen was a civil registration district ("Standesamt") located
in Kreis Pleschen, province of Posen of the German Empire (1871-1918) and
administered the communities of::

Town Kreis Polish Spelling Type 1905 Pop Prot. Cath. Jews Police Ofc Court
Ofc Cath. Ch Prot. Ch Notes More

Pleschen Pleschen Pleszew Town 7553 1722 5436 395  Pleschen Pleschen
Pleschen Pleschen

Polish spelling is Pleszew.  Check this site for Genealogical records of
Greater Poland, and Pleszew.  This is a good site for use in writing for
recods.
http://www.polishroots.org/genpoland/posguide.htm

Check this site for Modly/Modla.  Believe that the German spelling is
Modlau, the Polish is Modla.  http://www.atsnotes.com/other/gerpol.html

You can use Multimap at http://www.multimap.com/ to find the two towns that
presently exist in Poland.

Modla is about 75 km (45 miles) ENE of Lodz.

Pleszew is about 200 km (120 miles WNW of Lodz.

Hope these are the right towns for you.  Good luck.

Joe in Texas