[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Finding relatives in Ukraine

pierre katona pkmybiz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 07:08:29 PDT 2007

Hi!

  I'm trying to track down relatives I know I have in Ukraine. My late grandmother lost contact with them because of the cold war.

  My grandmother was Lilly Wessner (maiden name Ziemer). She lived in Spedle, Poland (where my mother was born). Spedle no longer exists, but it was near what is now Kovel, Ukraine. She also lived in Lotz (Litzmannstadt?), Poland and Hamburg, Germany. Her husband was Albin Wessner, who was born in Austria. They had children Susanne (my mother) and Emanuel (Emil). Plus grandma remarried after WW2 and had children Walter, Julia and Lilly.

  My great grandfather was Eduard Ziemer. He lived in Lviv (Lemberg) - which was then in Poland, now part of Ukraine. He was an evangelical preacher. His wife was Emilie Ziemer (maiden name Budzinski). They had quite a few children, some of the names I know of are Wilhelm, Erna and of course grandma Lilly.

  I know that Grandma Lilly was sending packages to family in Ukraine after WW2, but was asked by them to stop because of government/police pressure. I might be able to get names from my mother, but she is rather recalcitrant and not forthcoming with information.

  Any help / suggestions in finding my relatives would be appreciated!

  Thank you,
  Pierre Katona