[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translation

Brent & Pam Sattler bpsattler at sasktel.net
Wed Apr 11 15:57:01 PDT 2007

I was looking at the birth record of my great grandfather's brother and
I came across some words that I couldn't find in my German-English
dictionary.  The document was issued in Austria and the writing is in
German.  The two words are the occupations of my gg grandparents.

Landvirt [possibly Laudvirt as the writing is somewhat hard to read] I
presume it means farmer or vinyard owner?

vohnhaft [possibly vohnhoft?]  I presume it means housewife?

If anyone could shed some light on the meaning of these words that would
be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle Sattler
Milestone, Saskatchewan