[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gustav Richter

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 16 06:15:17 PDT 2007

At 02:16 PM 15/04/2007, HeinrichRichter1 at aol.com wrote:
>Jerry:
>
>Many thanks for such a great and complete response. You're probably
>correct that my Grandfather, Gustav Richter was born in Tomaschew in
>1872. Researching my family has been somewhat confusing as the
>village names of Jalowica, Analivka, Anieluwka and Anielowice seem
>to be used almost interchangeably throughout many of my extended
>family's records. Many of them were born and died there.
>Does anyone know the history of Jalowica? I was told that Jalowica
>was burned as the Germans were being transported farther East at the
>beginning of W.W.I.
>
>Thanks again.
>Heinrich

Heinrich,

For some reason your message does not seem to have appeared on our
mailing list.  I hope it will appear with this copy back to it.

We have very few histories of the numerous Germanic villages in
Volhynia.  But perhaps one of the readers does know more about it.

I doubt the village would have been burned by the Germans.  It is
well off the beaten path for any troop movements.  I suppose it might
be possible that locals burned the buildings down after the Germans
were deported.

Are you aware that you can zoom right in on this village using GOOGLE
Earth?  Type the coordinates  50 55 42 N 26 03 51 E   in the box and
it will take you right to the village.  It is but a clearing in a
thickly wooded area and appears that there are only 2 buildings
left.  My 1930s era map doesn't show many more buildngs than that.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca