[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gustav Richter

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Mon Apr 16 10:38:49 PDT 2007

It might appear that Jerry's and my responses to the burning of Jalowice
might contradict each other, but I don't think so.  Jerry is right--it
wouldn't have been the Germans.  Their front line never got that far east
(so far as I know) before 1918.  But in 1915 they got perilously close, and
the retreating Russians got mighty nervous.  Individual commanders in charge
of evacuating any given area might well have decided to burn a village, even
if the front was miles away.  It's not impossible that the locals burned the
village, as Jerry suggests, but that would have been unusual. They often
looted to their heart's content, but burning would have deprived them of
material to loot.  But then, of course, there's the possibility of spite....

Dick