[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why Germans in Poland

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed Apr 18 17:26:36 PDT 2007

Evening John,
You asked:
"why there were so many Germans in Poland in the first place?"

Colonization.  One thousand years of it.
Begin with Krakow in your research, its churches, it universities...
Scratch the historical surface of major cities and you will find a
German soul.

The Reformation.  Colonization by Evangelical Lutherans (Evangelische
Augsburgische)
 From the 1500's onward.

Prussianization of Poland. ('Germany' did not exist until 1871)
East Prussia, Pomerania, West Prussia, New East Prussia. . . Check
these out.
Research major cities.  Research villages.

And on and on... Use Google to do some research.
Do not settle for my brief comment on the subject. I only point.
A thousand years of rich history in Poland. You will discover an
intertwining of souls.
It will make your previous research pale into insignificance.

If I recall der alter Fritz II had a female cousin in Pomerania...
Kinda ambitious girl.

On Apr 18, 2007, at 4:03 PM, j burns wrote:

> There is quite a bit of information about why Germans ended up in
> Russia-Catherine II and Alexander I invited them, the partition of
> Poland threatened their military exemptions, Polish insurrection,
> abolishment of serfdom, etc. but I can find any information on why
> there were so many Germans in Poland in the first place. Can
> someone clue me in please?
> John

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of April 1, 2007-
              "Like fishing. . . always beyond the surface."