[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why Germans in Poland

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Apr 19 01:57:34 PDT 2007

j burns schrieb:

>There is quite a bit of information about why Germans ended up in Russia-Catherine II and Alexander I invited them, the partition of Poland threatened their military exemptions, Polish insurrection, abolishment of serfdom, etc. but I can find any information on why there were so many Germans in Poland in the first place. Can someone clue me in please?
>John

Hello John,
complex reasons require complex answers.
Otto mentioned the mediaval colonization. But why did Germans settle in
Poland for centuries and not Poles in Germany? I think the reason can be
found in the relations of production. Initial bourgeois social relations
were much earlier in the cities of the German Empire (which were founded
and equipped with a special urban law in the tradition of the Roman
Empire) than in Poland. They produced goods and developed international
trade (think of the 'Hanse'). Thus the empire could feed more
inhabitants per square mile than Bohemia and Poland. Of course Bohemian
and Polish kings and nobles wanted to participate in the increasing
wealth and called for specialized German craftsmen and miners to found
cities with German urban law on their territories.

Later settlements had other complex reasons like the Napoleonic
'Continental System' which forced the European continental countries to
embargo British goods. Thus it became profitable to establish mechanic
weaveries in Poland.

Günther